Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Building your own House
Many people build their own houses these days, and companies are making it easier for us to do so. As I mentioned in an earlier article some companies do complete home-build kits, which take you from getting the money for the mortgage, finding the plot of land, getting planning approval, helping you design the house and getting it put up, through to getting buildings approval and receiving the final deeds. You just act as project manager for the build. Hey they even help you source local builders to do the work.

This is probably going to be the route I choose as I source the land and decide on a design for the house. Although it would be quite possible for me to design and draw initial plans (I am also an architectural illustrator) I think I will probably leave the final designs to an architect. My biggest challenge at the moment is to talk my partner into the idea - she is happy here at the moment, and the kids are still in school, so it would not be fair to move them right now. I assume that this is going to take a year - maybe two to achieve anyway, so we are right at the beginning of the process now. But as Lao T'su said:
"a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step",

so I think I've just taken that step - and that is the hardest part, isnt it? We'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

In Association with Amazon.co.uk